Submit Search. Successfully reported this slideshow. We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime. Women against slavery the british campaigns, Upcoming SlideShare.
Like this document? Why not share!
Embed Size px. Start on. Show related SlideShares at end. Read preview. Synopsis This comprehensive study of women anti-slavery campaigners fills a serious gap in abolitionist history.
Send article to Kindle
Covering all stages of the campaign, Women Against Slavery uses hitherto neglected sources to build up a vivid picture of the lives, words and actions of the women who were involved, and their distinctive contribution to the abolitionist movement. It looks at the way women's participation influenced the organisation, activities, policy and ideology of the campaign, and analyses the impact of female activism on women's own attitudes to their social roles, and their participation in public life.
Exploring the vital role played by gender in shaping the movement as a whole, this book makes an important contribution to the debate on 'race' and gender.
Excerpt On 20 September anti-slavery campaigner Anne Knight wrote to her friend Lucy Townsend, who fifteen years before had founded the first women's anti-slavery society in Britain. Anne called on Lucy to put herself forward for inclusion in the commemorative group portrait of the World Anti-Slavery Convention which had been held in London that June: My dear long silent friend my slave benefactress Not now would I trouble thy retirement but I am very anxious that the historical picture now in hand of Haydon should not be performed without the chief lady of the history being there…in justice to history and posterity the person who established woman agency…has as much right to be there as Thomas Clarkson himself, nay perhaps more, his achievement was in the slave trade; thine was slavery itself the pervading movement the heart-stirring the still small voice….
Women against Slavery: The British Campaigns, 1780-1870
Your name. Your email. Send Cancel.
- Empire and Globalisation: Networks of People, Goods and Capital in the British World, c.1850-1914.
- Les Secrets Sexuels Orientaux (Collection Santé - Bien être) (French Edition)!
- How to Lose 80 Pounds: Learn How You Can Quickly & Easily Lose Eighty lbs. The Right Way Even If You’re a Beginner, This New & Simple to Follow Guide Teaches You How Without Failing?
- AMAZING MALLIKA Perseverance and Anger Management Childrens Picture Book (Life Skills Childrens eBooks Fully Illustrated Version 4);
- Women Against Slavery.
- Intersection of Intent (New Minden Mysteries Book 1)?
- BBC - History - British History in depth: Women: From Abolition to the Vote?
Check system status. Toggle navigation Menu.
laibedscaphafol.tk Name of resource. Problem URL.
- Thinking Through Things: Theorising Artefacts Ethnographically (Ucl S).
- 1st Edition;
Describe the connection issue. SearchWorks Catalog Stanford Libraries. Women against slavery : the British campaigns,